Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2020, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Jun 2020 04:02:26 -0400
From:         Gabriel Hourtouat <ghourtouat@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Newb Gets Hosed -- Coolant Pipes Retrofit

I thought I was going to get ALL of the coolant out of the pipes by opening and draining the system. ...How many times can coolant splash me in the face long after the flow in that pipe has seemingly stopped??? Hahahahahahahahahaha

The good news is that I got the job started and had only a couple of set-backs. I collected about 14L of coolant in my bucket and hopefully spilled less than a litre onto rags and my head. I got all the pipes and hoses disconnected (except for the pump discharge to RH nipple connector). The easy part is that many connections came apart easily. In fact, some hoses were loose on the pipe ends after removing the clamps. The challenges:

1. T-Stat bolts were virtually stripped at the outset. Bottom one had just barely enough in it that I could get it out with the allan key. Top one -- I almost gave up trying to get it with the vice grips but it came loose at last, 1/32 of a turn at a time; and there was no need for drilling.

2. The pipes had been bound together (as though by the Dark Lord) with 14 cable-ties and a tight screw clamp! in the area concealed and constricted above the gas tank. At long last they came loose but not before I could insert my arm (up to my jaw) to cut the cable-ties and maneuver the screw clamp. So slimy with rust-proofing and yet so scratchy.

Please advise: The distribution manifold is authentic VW, new from two years ago. The Distribution Manifold to T-stat hose is also authentic and new from last year. I am tempted to reuse them; but it would mean re-using the orignial '130A' hose, which is not in new looking condition. (In the meanwhile, I can try and find a replacement. Now that I know how to do it, this doesn't seem so bad.)

-Bad idea? Just go with all new parts?

Thanks for any insights, gab