Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2020, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Jun 2020 09:18:00 -0700
From:         Bruce Todd <beeceetee@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Financing Options

I would say that borrowing money to purchase a van does work depending on the circumstances. If it is the right van for you and you are afraid another won't come along for a while then I think you should find a way to snap it up. Personally I like to put down as much cash as possible and finance the remainder and I have taken out relatively small loans to buy 3 vans over the course of my "Bus" Life. Risky? perhaps a little...however I look at how much needs to be borrowed and long it would take me to pay it off. If it is within one to two years and my payments still allow me to purchase parts and beer then I look at it as more of a short term car payment with the added bonus of being able to start using the van - as well as working on it and coming up with an overall part replacement strategy.

I guess it also depends if this vehicle will be your daily driver or not - hopefully not or you have some other transportation lined up from time to time as you work through repairs. Depending on the type of van air vs water cooled - there is a lot of old and parts just waiting to fail. As well the main issue that will succumb a van to its eventual death is rust - so make sure it is not lurking like a pandemic underneath a fresh coat of paint.

At no point will this vehicle save you money as every one of us fools have pointed out! But it will provide a ton of fun as well as the occasional heartache.

The cost of borrowing is very low - so I don't imagine you will have a problem getting financing.

Bruce