Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2020, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Jul 2020 00:24:32 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Changing oil:  Hot, Lukewarm, or Cold

Of course....Gerry stripped the link...  But it is at site called "mechanics.stackexchange.com"

Sheesh...this is already too much work.  Carry on.

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 5:16:05 PM PDT, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net> wrote: This is kind of one of those COVID-19 questions out of boredom; but there may be some merit in discussion.

For my whole life, I have always changed my oil with it super Hot.  It wasn't too bad with the angled oil filter on a Wasserboxer; with the Subie motor with a vertical filter orientation, I invariably have issue of hot oil on cold hand.  I've taken to sacrificing on old leather glove on left hand....but it's always a mess when I loosen oil filter to drop it down into plastic pan.  And its always super hot.  Even putting drain plug back in, that's hot too.  I'm always in a hurry.

Believe it or not, there is some discussion about this:  What happens if I change the oil when the engine is cold?

|  |  | What happens if I change the oil when t... |

Yeah, I got my oil changed this afternoon, and I've done it hundreds of times including some sketchy places and circumstances over the last 45 years.  But, it got me thinking there might be a better way.  A "cooler" way.

So, what do you guys think?  Check out the link I added above.  Interesting info.  Feel free to pass on this one.

Rich

San Diego