Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2020, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Jul 2020 08:34:46 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Some logging road testing of my new bilstein b6 shocks

Hi,

Installed the shocks a couple of months ago, the bilstein b6, 16” Syncro shocks all round. Finally got out for a trio last weekend, same places we usually go northwest of port renfrew. Around town the shocks feel firm as expected, not harsh but I wouldn’t call them comfy freeway driving shocks. In the trip, van medium loaded, felt better on the paved than usual light load. On the severe undulations on paved road ( there are sections close to the rough roads that are severely frost heaved and potholed) they felt much much better than the old stock shocks.

Same on the logging roads. Was a mix of rough cobble like surface and some sections where excavator had travelled. Found the excavator further on, it’s pushing thru a new spur to access another cut block.

There a good 5km section of climb where it’s 1st gear and G gear. Not skid plate scraping rough but rough enough to stay in G gear even if you could shift into first.

I liked how the shocks improved the feel and control.

On this trip we didn’t do any sustained “high speed” on washboard so I can’t comment about shocks on that surface.

The van never will feel like a body on frame truck on these roads, but so far I very much like the improvement in feel and control with the new shocks. Especially improved over those dash item launching roller coaster road features.

But I think for most of us, doing Hwy driving, they might feel too firm. Albeit they might be good with a heavily loaded van on Hwy, but that’s just a guess.

Oh, should say that this is with the stock North American issue 14” Syncro springs. And 215/75-15 yoko geolander ats go15 tires. And I’ve been running the tire pressure at 42 front and rear these last couple of years , feels good at that pressure.

Alistair