Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2020, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Jul 2020 00:19:26 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: AC questions - 1984 Vanagon - Correction
Comments: To: "Jack R." <jack007@comcast.net>

Re-read your original post...says Compressor clutch is engaging...OK, sorry I missed that. Seems like electrical issues can be crossed off the list.

Also noticed you said Schrader Valve leaking.  Huge clue?  When I got my 85 converted from R-12 to R-134A at a professional shop, when I got home I heard a slight hissing; immediately drove back to shop.  Guy got out a simple tool, twisted it, got the valve reset, no more hiss; topped the losses back up, worked great.  (Still have a slight leak in Evaporator....well, I address it at the beginning of every summer with a re-charge.  Oh well...)

I'm being so OCD about this whole issue because I want to learn!  A/C is so nice; carrying a lot of machinery around is no good if it doesn't work.  Frustrating and expensive.

Really appreciate your followups on this issue.

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 5:00:19 PM PDT, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net> wrote: Some more thoughts...our dear friend Mr. Corrosion, he's now 36 years old.  There must be some sort of relay that provides big electricity to the compressor; I have no idea of how difficult to get to these in your Vanagon.  But maybe those connections have been compromised over the years?  Worth checking.  And cleaning up to snuff.  May solve an intermittent problem down the road even if you replace the compressor for instance.  Also, when checking out system, make sure dials are set at MAX, windows down, high fan.  Perhaps a shot of contact cleaner to the interior of control switches and working them back and forth a bunch to wipe off corrosion would also be of some worth.

That's about all this amateur can think of.  Again, first step is to be confident that AC compressor clutch is spinning or not.

I am hoping it is something simple.  Hidden...but simple.

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 4:20:42 PM PDT, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net> wrote: Yet another afterthought....speaking of bad electricity....it could even be that the switch to turn things on is bad.  But first, make sure the compressor clutch is spinning or not.

Rich

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 4:14:51 PM PDT, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net> wrote: Oh yeah, another tip learned from the Scotty Kilmer vidio on "How to use AC Gauges in your Car"....another possibility is bad electricity to compressor.  The compressor itself might not be shot.  So, make sure with system running, that the clutch of the compressor is spinning with the pulley; then you will at least know you don't have an electrical issue (fuse or wiring).

Rich

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 3:25:57 PM PDT, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net> wrote: I'm an amateur too, but got myself some gauges and have been reasonably successful.  There are tons of really helpful YouTube videos.  Do plenty of exploring; does NOT have to be Vanagon specific.  Even Scotty has a brief discourse:  How to use AC Gauges in Your Car (AC Problems)

|  |  | How to use AC Gauges in Your Car (AC Pr... |

One thing I noticed in your latest "system on" photos; the high side and low side are about equal. Actually, your "system off" photo says basically the same thing.  According to the video above, it means your compressor is shot and isn't doing anything.  (Hope I am not the bearer of bad news.)

Watch a few of these videos....like I said they are extremely educational.  Some good, some not so good.

Also...it's important to have a thermometer handy for ambient temperatures, and then use one of those handy charts available online for R-134A to see optimal pressures on high and low for ambient conditions.  Also...some of the videos are more thorough than others...like the importance of purging your lines with a puff of refrigerant when hooking up to be sure to minimize introduction of air and water vapor into your system.  It all takes a bit of concentration while everything is whirring around in front of your face.

Rich

San Diego

    On Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 2:56:36 PM PDT, Jack R <jack007@comcast.net> wrote:  It would help if I took the reading with the valves opened!

Reading with system off. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Se2DEdEZauwW7rb36

Reading with system on. https://photos.app.goo.gl/QW4sTHbCbuVJJPDP7

It was working great last summer... It appears to be over charged?

Thanks for any advise, sorry for the earlier post, too hot to think today!

Jack

I have an 84 Westy.

Two+ years ago, I changed out all the AC lines, condenser, receiver/dryer, valves, O-Rings, oil, and charged with 134a. (retained condenser, cooling coil, and compressor).

The system worked wonderful, only needed to add a ½ pound of 134a last summer to get ice-cold air again.

This spring, the system was working pretty well, but when I attempted to add 134a, it didn’t appear to take it.

Now, it isn’t cooling.

When I hooked up the gages, upon removing the cap on the high-site, I noticed a leak from the Schrader valve.

The compressor clutch is engaging, and the compressor is turning, but the system doesn’t seem to be holding 134a.

With system off… AC gages read

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rn9eJiHxPsAMaeuh7

With system on… AC gages read

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tK41CQu4DyeVZhow6