Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2020, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Jul 2020 12:01:36 -0600
From:         Steve Williams <steve@WILLIAMSITCONSULTING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Seeing Red
Comments: To: Bruce Todd <beeceetee@GMAIL.COM>

Hi,

The blue wire also triggers the fridge relay in (at least) a late model (1991) Westy.

That area could easily be a problem if there have been aftermarket wiring mods (eg:Â Go-Westy solenoid battery isolator).

Cheers, Steve W.

On 07/07/2020 1:12 p.m., Bruce Todd wrote: > Thanks - I took the alternator in and got it serviced and as a result the > red indicator light stops coming on and the battery is charging. There > does seem to be a draw on the blue wire though which requires more work on > my end to locate and fix. > > Thanks for the follow up. I'm getting pretty good at removing and > installing my alternator. > > Bruce > > On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 9:03 AM OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@comcast.net> wrote: > >> Bruce >> >> Just in case Dennis is busy doing other stuff & not able to >> respond soon > >> >> ReRead Denniss Post ~ The 3.5VDC on Blue Wire indicates that there is a >> Prob' >> >> on that Circuit & the Alt' is unlikely @ Fault but check it by Jumping >> 12VDC to >> >> Blue Wire Connector to see if it Wakes Up ~ >> >> >> On 5 Jul , 2020, at 2:41 PM, Bruce Todd wrote: >> >>> Voltage on blue wire disconnected from alternator with key on = 3.5 >>> volts. Voltage at alternator engine idling - blue wire off or on - 11.5 >>> volts. >>> >>> Will go see alternator repair shop tomorrow morning. >>> >>> Bruce >>> >>> On Sunday, July 5, 2020, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: >>> >>>> The campers add a bit of bewilderment to the alternator activation and >>>> warning light circuit. Yes, that is not just there for the warning >> light. >>>> The alternator needs a little bit of activation current to get the >> magnetic >>>> field from the rotor going. >>>> For the campers this circuit is also used to operate the refrigerator >>>> relay. That is why the light remains on when the blue wire is taken off >> the >>>> alternator. To make things a bit more difficult the ground for the >> fridge >>>> relay is through the starter solenoid. Combination of disable the fridge >>>> during cranking and take the load off the activation circuit so that >> maybe >>>> as soon as it starts the alternator will kick in. >>>> >>>> You would hope the shop actually tested the alternator including under >>>> load. Check the blue wire discounted that you have close to battery >> voltage >>>> on it key on. If not that is a problem. With the engine running you can >>>> jump power to that terminal and see if the alternator starts. Rev it a >>>> little. If not you likely have a problem with the alternator. >>>> >>>> Dennis >>>> >>>> >>>> -----Original Message----- >>>> From: Vanagon Mailing List <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> On Behalf Of >> Bruce >>>> Todd >>>> Sent: Saturday, July 4, 2020 8:48 PM >>>> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >>>> Subject: Seeing Red >>>> >>>> Okay - First off - Happy 4th of July to all of you folks south of the >>>> border. >>>> >>>> So I've been going hard on a number of repairs since posting about a >>>> vibrating alternator and discovering a broken cradle bracket. You may >>>> recall I upgraded the bracket and installed an additional supporting >>>> bracket and then also took my alternator into a repair shop for >> inspection >>>> and service. Put everything back together - started everything up, >> admired >>>> the belts and the stability of the new bracket - but didn't travel >>>> anywhere as I immediately began working on replacing the manifold intake >>>> hose / boots. This included repainting the manifold, cleaning the top >> of >>>> the block, inspecting fuel lines and installing protective sheathing >> over >>>> the fuel lines which circulate fuel to the rails and injectors and >>>> replaced the fuel hose that returns fuel from the fuel ring back to the >>>> tank - and since I was in the neighbourhood - I also replaced the fuel >>>> filter. I also renewed all the grommets on the injectors and injector >>>> bracket. >>>> >>>> I also changed a small coolant hose - the upper most small elbow on the >>>> expansion tank. So finally got everything back together - no more leaks >>>> everything looking good...and went for a test drive. Quickly discovered >>>> the battery indicator led is on...seeing red! Checked the voltage - >> via a >>>> battery tester, the type you plug into a cigarette outlet and saw >>>> immediately the battery was not charging - I did not check voltage at >> the >>>> alternator because I no longer have an actual volt meter...(need to buy >> a >>>> new one). So checked the Bentley where it discusses trouble shooting >>>> - and so I removed the wires from the alternator and then turned the >>>> ignition switch to the on position and noted that the red battery >> indicator >>>> light stays on. >>>> >>>> What is the likelihood the alternator needs to go back to the repair >> shop? >>>> Seems odd but possibly something overlooked there - or could I have a >>>> short somewhere? >>>> >>>> Bruce - 86 Westy Syncro (2.1) >>>> >>