Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2020, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Jul 2020 14:34:16 -0700
From:         Ryan Cresawn <jrcresawn@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: radiator fan grinding noise
Comments: To: Raimund Feussner <ray@v6bus.de>

Today I removed the spare tire and spare tire tray and inspected the radiator fan motor. I am able to turn it with my fingers with relative ease. I feel the notches from the magnets in the motor snap the fan into specific positions as I rotate it. It is not stuck or frozen at any point but there is some constant resistance. When I spin it as fast as I can by hand I hear it squeak and I believe this squeak is amplified when the motor is powered on. My guess is that the bearings have lost some of their grease in that hot environment over 29 years and that they don't spin as freely as they once did. I also suspect they are the source of the squeak. Now my question is how to remove the fan motor without removing the radiator. As I stated earlier, I have a working air conditioner. It works because several months ago I replaced the condenser with one a new one that does not leak. I would rather not take the Vanagon to a shop to have them evacuate the refrigerant just to remove the radiator fan motor. When I look at the way the radiator fan and motor are mounted it is clear that, as Raimund wrote, there are three nuts that mount it to the shroud. There is also a nut or bolt that mounts the fan blade to the motor. I can't see it but I can feel it. Is it possible to remove the three bolts and remove the motor and fan from the shroud without removing the fan blades?

Thanks again, Ryan