Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2020, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Aug 2020 03:08:43 +0000
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Braking Distance
Comments: To: David Boan <dboan@OUTLOOK.COM>

Here's a link to a reprint of Car and Driver's test of the 1980 passenger Vanagon, and the specs show a braking distance for 70-0 MPH as 214 feet.  Later tests for different models and weights might show different numbers. Tested: 1980 Volkswagen Vanagon L Proves to Be a Worthy Follow-Up to the Original Type 2 VW Bus

| | | | | |

From the Archive: The flower children's bus grows up. |

Stephen

On Sunday, August 9, 2020, 04:02:25 PM EDT, David Boan <dboan@outlook.com> wrote: Hi Vanagon Types,

I am working on establishing a basis for assessing the braking on my '85 Westy.  I just did the following braking distance test to see if I need to make improvements.  Unfortunately, I have no baseline to compare to, so I am hoping someone may know what a completely stock Westy would do and how much improvement might be expected by customizing the brakes.

I used the AAA stopping distance chart minus the allotment for reaction time.  At 30 mph the braking distance would be 45' and at 40 mph it would be 80'.  Some charts have slightly different numbers.

For this test my Westy was empty except for a full tank of gas.  The brakes are stock except for slotted front discs.  The wheels are 16" with new 215/70/60 tires.  I sped up to the target speed, hit the brakes when I got to my marker and braked hard but did not lock up the wheels.  The numbers are not exact given I had no help doing this and had to watch the speed and the road marker.  I was on flat dry pavement on a cool morning.

I did each speed twice and got the same numbers each time. At 30 mph I stopped in 40' (benchmark being 45').  At 40 mph I stopped in 108' (benchmark 80').  I want to do this at 60, but have not located a safe place to do it.  I wonder if the increase over benchmark at 40 mph is a trend, which would suggest even longer braking distance compared to benchmark at highway speeds.

I have always allowed extra stopping distance, but this gives me more of a reference.  I would add 35% to the standard spacing between vehicles when empty, at least 50% when loaded.  That is not always practical given you cannot account for what other drivers do, so it seems that bringing down the stopping distance when driving at highway speeds would be a good investment.  I assume a big brake kit would bring it down, but I have no idea how much.  My mechanic questions the value of adding rear disc brakes since the front do most of the braking.

Thanks for any suggestions or other experience or measurements.

Dave B. Boise