Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2020, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Aug 2020 22:39:51 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: What to do with my pop top interior?
Comments: To: "Jim. Felder" <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

Forgive me...I know nothing about Westy's. (my van is a tintop).  But I have also seen this question posed before.  When I did my homebuilt camping interior, I used this stuff from Home Depot over various plywood panels and modules, secured with brush-on Contact Cement (or the spray-on stuff).  Doing this job upside-down would be somewhat challenging...but with a helper could be done.  ...a section at a time.

TrafficMaster Elevations - Color Sky Grey Texture 6 ft. x Your Choice Length Carpet-7PD5N660072HO - The Home Depot This stuff is super cheap (6 feet wide at $2.81/lineal foot).  Super lightweight.  Attractive.  Durable...almost bomb-proof.  Can use almost anything to clean it (just not acetone which dissolves plastic). The beauty of this stuff is that if you trim it straight, you can bond one panel next to another and the mating seam is invisible.  Light scissors or utility knife to cut.  I also used it on compound exterior corners with beautiful results...just clever notching and a little patience is all it takes.  And future repairs are an easy no-brainer.

Hey...go to Home Depot...spend $5 on a trial piece....perfect your cutting and gluing skills....I think it would look great. Again....absolutely no experience doing this on the underside of a Westy pop-top.  But, like most projects....try it on a small area first before committing the whole project.  Anyway...just trying to be helpful. Rich On Friday, August 14, 2020, 2:43:31 PM PDT, Jim. Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com> wrote: I know this question has been posted and discussed at length. Last I remember was years ago, whn somepeople painted, some people did nothing, and some recovered the inside of the poptop with upholstery material. I thought I would revisit this now since replacing my canvas is imminent and find out what people are finishing the underside with.

My flocking is pretty much OK except for the moldy look some parts of it have. When I got the van 17 years ago I tried a little clorox to kill the mold. It killed the flocking instead. It's no worse now than then, but I don't want to neglect the underside when I can get to it.

What's the current thinking on this?

Thanks,

Jim