Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2020, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Sep 2020 22:39:10 -0600
From:         OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Timing
Comments: To: Gene P <olgreywoof@GMAIL.COM>

It has been My understanding for Many Years that the General Rule Of Thumb

for Eng' Ing' Timing Advance is that what ever is specified should be Increased by

1 - 1.5º Per Thousand Ft of Altitude @ which the Eng' Resides ~ So @ 7K ft AMSL

You should be setting Your 2.1L H2OBoxrs Timing @ Somewhere in the range of

12 - 15º ~ That Tab that You mention is Roughly 5º so You can use it as a guide

to estimate 7 - 10º beyond it or using the Prescribed 2In = 35º You could make a

mark on the Pulley @ 2.5In from the 5º V Groove & that should be good to use @

Full Advance RPMs ~

All that being said,, Setting Your Timing @ 5º when it should maybe be set

@ 15º shouldn't make it Idle Badly, it should only make it respond to throttle +s

sluggishly ~

There is Another Factor that is important to Note ~ Your Physical Altitude may

be 7000 AMSL but depending on Atmospheric Conditions Your Density Altitude this

time of Year may very well be a Great Deal Higher Than That ~