Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2020, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Sep 2020 21:03:42 -0400
From:         Matt McKeon <matt@MMCKEON.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1.9L distributors and hall sensors
Comments: To: Dan N <dn92610@gmail.com>

Dan- wow, how did I miss that?? haha!

Ron- oh interesting, I had only found the $159 one. This is tempting. And great that you offer us a discount, thanks!

Appreciate the replies, -Matt

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020, at 10:45 PM, Dan N wrote: > hi Matt, > > here's one > https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2384633 > > good luck, > > On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 5:56 PM Matt McKeon <matt@mmckeon.com> wrote: >> Hey all- >> >> New to the world of Vanagon's and I recently discovered that the hall sensor on my '84 appears to be in pretty bad shape. The plug on the outside of the distributor is loose, and moving it kills the engine. So I took the cap & rotor off and looked around under there, and from what I can tell / observe, the hall sender plate (?) appears as if it might be broken. I can move it around pushing it from the opposite side of the connector and the flat part of it sticks out from underneath the trigger wheel (the metal cover piece above it with the 4 gaps). Took some time fiddling with it to get the van to start again after I did that.. >> >> So thought I'd start looking for parts. Searching around, the hall sensor for these VW 1.9L engines seem almost impossible to come by. A local VW shop found one in their stock for like $280. With a price like that, I started looking for whole distributors too, seems worth replacing after 36 years of service. But they too seem in short supply. The distributors I found offered by Bus Depot & Van-again are both out of stock and neither sell the hall unit. And no luck on The Samba so far. Not sure if there are any known good re-builders that might have something. >> >> My question is, has anyone had luck finding a hall sensor and/or distributor for an '84 1.9L van? Or have any general pointers for this green Vanagon owner? >> >> Much appreciated! >> -Matt