Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2020, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Oct 2020 14:03:47 +0000
From:         "ddbjorkman@verizon.net" <ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Anyone know of a good Westy LED ceiling light they like?
Comments: To: "ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET" <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>

Hey Eric.  I have to chime in on that retro look.  Sorry Jim, won't help you unless you have some original Bus stuff around.  Back to the retro look.  I installed a couple of the rear overhead lights from my early Westies (got the parts, not the vehicles).  You know the ones. Oblong and over ones head as they sat in the rear bench seat.  It has a switch on it and a switch on the steering column cover.  I noticed on trips there was insufficient light for 2 people to look at maps, books, etc..  So I took two of those lights, found high output LED replacement festoon lights that fit and installed them just above where each person would sit in the rear seat.  I even installed a switch up front.  It was easy to drop the metal channel above the seat, pick up wiring from the original light above the bins, and screw them in place.  One does have to remove the upper insert of the spice/etc. tray.  Both of them on is too bright for anything but checking maps or reading, one on lights up the sink area, the original rear light for mood lighting.  Bus Depot even had clear covers to replace the original light covers which had turned light brown over time.  Until I got the new ones, I thought they all came in light brown. Dave B.

-----Original Message----- From: Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tue, Oct 20, 2020 11:23 am Subject: Re: Anyone know of a good Westy LED ceiling light they like?

Hi Alistair,

        this sounds great.

Do you have a link by chance so that I don’t end up with the wrong items?

Despite not being able to see I am invested in having others see well when camping.

I like the idea of the small subtle lights under the rain gutter and upper pop top.

Practical and functional.

And I could leave the original interior lights but add the light strips where most helpful to Heidi.

Once I have my van back this would be a fun project to reconnect me to it.

Glad Jim posted the question and for the diverse replies.

So, got a link for me?

Eric Caron