Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2020, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Nov 2020 18:55:05 -0800
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Refresh my memory about inner tie rods someone! Parts quality.

The server didn’t like the addressing on this message, but it’s important enough to make sure it gets to the list:

From Christopher at T3Technique <reply to: christopher@t3technique.com>

Not that the original question was about upper ball joints, but since = Dennis brought it up, I will chime in.

I agree with Dennis's assessment of the current line of upper ball = joints. As a result I am already headed down the path of having custom =

upper ball joints made. I should have the samples/prototypes in hand in = about a month. Assuming all is on track, the production run should be = available sometime around the first of the year.

My upper ball joints will: Have 2 degrees more articulation than a Moog = joint, be greaseable, have a durable boot, and will come with a lifetime = warranty. The joints will be available in two different configurations. = One is the upgraded version of the stock joint as described above. The =

other is the same basic joint, except that it is taller than the stock =

joint. This moves the pivot point of the joint upward to help compensate = for the geometry mess that occurs when lifting a Vanagon (especially a =

2wd). Handling will be improved and bump steer will be reduced. The main = benefit over simply installing upper ball joint spacers is the = improvement in both the static and dynamic geometry of the front = suspension. Upper ball joint spacers effectively make the upper control = arm appear longer which helps get the static camber in check. But since = the pivot point of the upper ball joint does not change, the dynamic = geometry (mainly the camber curve and the toe changes) doesn't change = much. The taller ball joints with their raised pivot point will help = correct that issue.=20

Better outer tie rod ends and better lower ball joints will be following = in the future, all with the same quality features as the upper ball = joints. The investment it took to get the upper ball joint program off =

the ground means that the other joints will have to wait just a bit = longer.=20

Anyway, I thought you guys might be interested in that since the subject = came up.=20

Thanks, Christopher T3 Technique