Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2020, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Nov 2020 09:44:15 -0800
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: GoWesty Engine Management system
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Thanks for taking time to lend your first hand experience and knowledge with this system Dennis.

I find it interesting that GW was able to make an OBD2 system work with the older style PWM idle control valve and AFM.

re: performance off idle at ~ 2000 RPM (and maybe fuel efficiency?), I'd be curious if using the OE WBX idle control valve and AFM on this GM type engine management system, are significant factors. i.e. is the Delphi ECU normally used in an application(s) where *all* idle air is controlled by the idle control valve and throttle angle, engine load etc. is reported by a typical TPS-MAF (or MAP) vs an AFM? i.e. in the original application(s), would the Delphi engine management normally "transition" from idle to off idle by gradually adjusting the idle valve. And, IF typical TPS-MAF sensors respond quicker than an AFM, would that response time factor in.

I can't imagine how much time it took GW to develop this system and I'm quite sure there was some "give and take" on that.

Neil.

On 11/5/20, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Eric's is the 4th GW EFI that I have installed and a 5th is scheduled to be > installed soon. So here are some of my thoughts. >

> In addition to the cost of the system you will most likely want the add on > scan gauge.

> Also consider that some parts of the original system get reused such as > the idle control valve and fuel pump. If > you need a harness and also suffering from worn throttle body and/or air > flow sensor those costs do help a lot with the down payment. The system does > offer some nice features including CARB approval, coil on plug ignition, > sequential injection, O2 sensor that works, Knock Sensor,OBD2 diagnostics, > and the GW modified scan gauge lets you read most any sensor and output.

> Performance: Of the 4 systems I installed 3 were for a 2.3L and one was for > the GW 2.7L. One of the 2.3L was installed using the OEM fuel injection a > year earlier. This installation also had the 4th gear changed from the .85 > to a .78. The customer was a bit disappointed in highway-hill climbing > capability especially at 70 mph plus. After the GoWesty EFI that power curve > was back and the before-after was "obvious". For the 2.7L all I can say is > wow. Still no rocket! The customer allowed me to test drive to/from work and > I also took it on a short trip. The van had a 5speed with 5th gear and final > drive changed out along with the 225/55-17 tires, 3200 RPM at GPS 70 mph. It > was great. Local fuel economy was disappointing to say the least. For the 75 > mile trip I did ~18 mpg. This included 70-75 run along with some city > traffic. Monitoring the engine parameters it is a bit interesting to watch > the igniton timing retard as the throttle is pushed further. I guess NOx > reduction and anti knock was part of the plan. Idle speed control is a bit > on the lazy side. > > Quirks: For all the systems sometimes it won't start immediately, release > key, try again and instant go. I had a 92 motorhome, Ford 460 that did the > same thing.Go figure. Sometimes going off idle there is a hesitation or > stumble and under 2,000 rpm and light throttle feels a bit off. Over 2,000 > rpm things are great.

-- Neil n

VE7TBN

1988 Westy 50º ABA swap: https://tinyurl.com/yap5hpwt

1981 Westy 15º ABA swap: https://tinyurl.com/y9n4xob8