Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2020, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Nov 2020 19:41:32 +0000
From:         David Boan <dboan@OUTLOOK.COM>
Subject:      idle control revisited

It looks like this message did not go out so posting again ...

I posted a week ago that my stalling issue was solved. Well, I spoke too soon. When I tested further the problem was still there (i.e. idles fine at start, accelerates smoothly, but stumbles and stalls coming to a stop after driving for a few minutes).

This is a GW 2.3 with 1.9 systems, so it is a digijet.

Following up on previous ideas, I did the following:

* cleaned the auxiliary air reg with contact cleaner and blew it out with compressed air. * Checked timing (put a mark 2" CW of TDC, revved to 3500, timing mark under timing light slightly left of reference, which seems to be fine). The timing does advance when watched with a timing light, so the vacuum on the distributor is working. * searching for air leak, replaced old hose on vacuum advance. * I also noticed I have no hose on the vacuum retard, but looking that up many posts say that does not matter. * checked and cleaned connections and grounds

No change with all that.

More importantly, I previously said the van would not idle when I connected the cables of the idle stabilizer. I did that test again and disconnecting the stabilizer causes the same stalling pattern as the main symptom I am trying to fix, i.e. it stumbles and stalls unless I feather the gas. With the stabilizer connected it idles fine until I go and drive it and come to a stop. So, seems to be a connection, but not sure what it is.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dave B Boise