Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2020, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Nov 2020 12:35:48 -0500
From:         Gordon Wildermuth <wildermu@LTIS.NET>
Subject:      '87 Vanagon Camper for sale at auction

This '87 Vanagon Camper belonged to my eldest brother. He was killed by a vehicle while crossing the street in Hamburg, Germany, in February. I am the executor of his estate and the vehicle will be sold at auction online in early December. Details are available at http://www.winchesterauctioneers.com/ <http://www.winchesterauctioneers.com/>

It has 162,647 miles on it and has not been used much over the last 10-15 years. It is in very good condition. My brother was well-regarded for the care he took maintaining his farm, his John Deere equipment, and, really, everything that was his. I drove it about 25 miles over to the auctioneer and the only thing I noticed that was not just fine was that it continued to idle abnormally fast. I expected the idle to drop after the engine warmed up but it did not. I assume it may be something stuck due to lack of use. I have two Vanagons myself, an '87 Wolfsburg Edition and a '90 Camper, so I know what to expect as to performance.

He bought this one used in '93 after he took my '90 out west and loved it. It has always spent winters garaged in Pennsylvania where he lived. It is very clean. The A/C does not work. It never did work since he purchased it but he never had the desire to do anything about it. The back hatch doesn't stay up but there is a new strong side piston in the van as a replacement. I am not aware that there was ever any body damage. He took it down the Baja once and took a trip down south but I do not recall other really big trips he took in it.

I live in Ohio. My brother lived in Pennsylvania. The vehicle is offered for sale in Pennsylvania, about 30 miles east of Scranton. Money from the sale will go to his wife, an Alzheimer's patient in Hamburg.