Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2021, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Jan 2021 16:48:23 -0500
From:         Peter Kraiker <turbowesty@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dake (Ian) Collins
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>

I first "met" Ian when he mailed me a little ice cube tray, thanks to this list. I made a point of visiting him when I was covering bicycle races near Quebec City and then races in Wyndham NY the following weekend. We went for a paddle on the lake before sitting down to some nice bourbon with ice, from that little tray. And we still use the oat warmie bag that Mariah made and gave me.

He came up to BusFusion in Almonte a year or two later. Last time I got to see him although we did continue to exchange emails. And yes, more fine bourbon on ice was shared. :)

Eric Caron wrote on 2020-12-31 9:40 AM: > Very sad news for sure, > > Ian had learned the skill of giving kindness and accepting it as well. He stayed at my house a few times when traveling to places to volunteer. I remember even when his health was not strong, he spent cold weeks camped in his van helping with Sandy storm relief. A van that I think had heat and a working engine due to the generosity of the Vanagon community. > > He finally made the decision to sell his van and get another. The replacement didn’t turn out well and then another replacement project went south and he gave up his vanagon. We were in touch last year as he asked about coming to West River Westies. He wanted to be sure it was ok without a VW. > In the meantime he mailed me his Bentley. He had one going up to 91. He attached a card to the front with his name and wishing me well with my van. I kept the book with the card attached as I appreciate the generosity of many of my VW friends. It travels with me in the van and will going forward. > > There is a lot of VW folks generosity in my van. Some of it advice such as the broom handle table lift trick, or real improvements like the Bues shelf. Many friends have fixed wires or other things under the bus letting me feel what they were doing as we worked. Many parts arrived in the mail to make the van a bit nicer. > > Ian was part of that shared support VW bus culture I cherish and will carry with me on the journey. > > > > Eric Caron > > > >> On Dec 31, 2020, at 2:26 AM, Tom Buese <tantonbz@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >> >> Ian was a vanagon friend of mine here in Maine, & was as nice a soul as one could meet, I hadnt talked to him in a few years, but I assumed he was on another VW adventure to NC & other points south. He had some serious health issues, but was as cheerful as can be. >> I remember a caravan he & I went on to West River Westies in Vermont & camping together at Buses by the Buoy where we had a lobster dinner w/ Mike Collum, another old Volk. >> Ian will be remembered &missed . >> >> Sent from my iPhone >> >>> On Dec 30, 2020, at 11:00 PM, Peter Kraiker <turbowesty@gmail.com> wrote: >>> >>> We lost a member of the tribe this month, some may already know as it >>> happened earlier in December. I learned of our loss earlier this evening. >>> Dake, who decided to go by Ian, left us. Here's the short obituary his >>> partner Mariah posted earlier: >>> >>> Dake's shorter obituary ~ >>> "Dake “Ian” Collins of Liberty, Maine, died peacefully December 5, 2020. >>> He was born Friday, September 13, 1946 in Rochester, NY. >>> To request later notification of his spring Celebration of Life, please >>> reply to DakeIanCelebration@gmail.com >>> In the 80s and 90s, as Economic and Community Development Director, Dake >>> helped to stimulate the revitalization of the City of Rockland by >>> writing and managing implementation of numerous grants to fund and >>> attract small businesses to the city and to renovate many low-income >>> residences. He served on the boards of the Midcoast Mental Health Center >>> and the Rockland Public Library and subsequently became Town Manager in >>> North Haven. He also deeply valued his associations with Maine Coast Men >>> and the Universalist Church of Rockland, and the Unitarian Universalist >>> Churches of Ellsworth and Belfast. >>> Since 2007, “Ian” (as he was known in the Belfast area), volunteered as >>> long as his health allowed with Hospice Volunteers of Waldo County, >>> Funeral Consumer Alliance, Common Ground Fair, Waldo County Cooperative >>> Extension, Liberty Lakes Association, and Veterans for Peace . >>> Dake is pre-deceased by his younger brother Mark Collins and his parents >>> Francis and Mary Elizabeth (Bristol) Collins. >>> He will be deeply missed by his beloved partner, Mariah Williams of >>> Liberty; his son Jesse Bristol Brown-Collins, Jesse’s wife Christina >>> Flood and Dake's adored grandson Henry Collins of Whitefield; Jesse’s >>> mother Jenni Johnson of Newcastle; Mariah’s daughter Tracy Williams and >>> husband Scott Allen of Northport, ME, Mariah’s son Jason Williams and >>> wife Crista Barrasso of Huntington, NY. >>> Please see RipostaFH.com >>> <https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2FRipostaFH.com%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR1_dye2etYzJlingiE8kSwmVTPfqhHj_7hNKfPGranXstGjk7cxx5MJVqs&h=AT19pd67UyyiBlZWHNUPDouXvimmA2STuBXnxTMwzpydQV2Xrb9mrYLTwG9OBgAWXq4ggZkHcOzd7m9ZzpSA3VhO40JYkJc6puqTcCMBmfB8OHJ330Zkr2giqQkh2lHGbVZjUByxEA&__tn__=-UK-y1.g-R&c[0]=AT3up9UITh7dp3a8S2rC0RzZyw8mXJ00HzUQOnSIX8CWWHK-ECwilwDoyvn9OgZKt5mBoIKcLrQUD-B-maBLvHqLf3tXpVct1eAs5VHUm1Trs3P4QeHWoKCR-5mpt6fM5pg> >>> for more complete information or, in lieu of flowers, to make a donation >>> in his memory. >>> >>> We connected because of a little thing... he added an ice cube tray to >>> my bus. And he will live on in my Westy because of that. >>> http://nextchapter.kraiker.ca/travel/onward-from-mont-sainte-anne-part-1/ >>> >>> 2Youand1 other >>> >>> -- >>> Regards, Peter Kraiker >>> Website: Kraiker.Photography >>> <http://kraiker.photography><http://kraiker.photography> >>> Blog: NextChapter.Kraiker.ca <http://Nextchapter.kraiker.ca> >>> 1982 Vanagon L Westy 1.9TD