Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2021, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Jan 2021 00:52:41 -0600
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Temporary Winter chassis treatment
Comments: To: Dan N <dn92610@GMAIL.COM>

I'm from Western NY State. Back then the standing joke was 'At night, you can hear a Ford rust" and there was a lot of truth in that joke.

Any Ford built in the 60's to early 70s sold without Zebart treatment would rust to the point it would fail inspection for structural issues in three years. Some foolishly refused to pay for the undercoating process and they paid dearly later. A high school friend of mine, Kevin Snow, drove a rusty 1971 Mustang to school. You could lay on the ground, look up into the doors and see the window mechanisms. I lost a bowling ball through a hole in his trunk and that's with a trunk mounted gas tank. But the interior was nice....

But Ford just happened to be the worse. Anything else would last 2 - 4 more years! VW's would last 2 - 4 more years just like the rest but the heater would die after the second winter. The heater channels would pinhole and let all the heat out before it reached the front.

Even more recently it's standard to cut even a 2 year old exhaust systems off with a torch and brake or suspension work often starts with a torch. Most modern factory exhausts are stainless steel but none of the fasteners are stainless. Same goes for brake and suspension hardware. Anything with threads is a worthless corroded mess after two winters.

Things did get better in the 80s but if I had a Syncro I wouldn't expose it to that CRAP!

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.kegkits.com – Electric Brewery Info www.towercooler.com – Beer Tower Cooler http://goo.gl/niRzVw - My Amazon Store www.brew-control.com – Electric Brewery Marketing and Direct Sales http://www.hackpilot.com/roadkill/ - A little twisted humor