Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2021, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Feb 2021 19:27:52 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: GoWesty Parallel flow A/C Condenser
Comments: To: "ddbjorkman@verizon.net" <ddbjorkman@verizon.net>

Thanks a lot Dave for this input.  Dennis H. seems to concur.  I think I will go for it.  Currently out of stock at GoWesty, but many months until hot weather so I think it will all work out. Rich

On Monday, February 1, 2021, 7:20:26 AM PST, ddbjorkman@verizon.net <ddbjorkman@verizon.net> wrote: Hi Rich.  I replaced my condenser after someone's high hitch went through mine.  The gowesty condenser made a significant improvement.  Worth the cash.  I would have posted to the list, but I'm having a problem with getting through. Dave B.

-----Original Message----- From: Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sun, Jan 31, 2021 6:29 pm Subject: GoWesty Parallel flow A/C Condenser

Wondering....have any of you tried this?  I have an 85 Tintop, where the A/C evaporator unit hangs just behind the head of driver.  Yeah, that big contraption.  When I got my 2.2 Subie done, it came with a Subie A/C compressor.  My conversion guy did the necessary hookups to make it all work. System was converted to R-134a refrigerant (by law...if tiny leaks, R-12 can no longer be used).  "Pretty good" performance.  Yes, I have some tiny leaks somewhere, most likely in overhead evaporator or maybe some hoses....but topping off refrigerant at the start of every summer seems to work.  I have the proper A/C gauge thing to monitor system pressures.

I am getting ready to replace my radiator fan; yes is for a 1.9 WBX motor.  These have been NLA for at least a decade and I tried a substitute with so-so success  (fine at 65 MPH, disappointing at 0 MPH).  But Van Cafe now has them!  In fact, my fan is now in my hands....like gold!

So, to install fan, radiator and condenser will have to be dropped.  If there was ever a time to think about replacing serpentine A/C condenser to more modern parallel flow condenser, this is it.  GoWesty claims improved performance https://www.gowesty.com/product/air-conditioning/24380/high-efficiency-a-c-condenser-?v=.

So that's my basic question.  Is it worth it?  I plan to keep my vanagon "forever". Rich San Diego