Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2021, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Feb 2021 01:34:01 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bogus engineering

Another thought on this topic:  VW corporation not only was working on Vanagons, but a whole slew of other projects.  If you were CEO, how would you attack this dilemma?  They only had so many engineers to go around for their multitude of projects.  How do you get the most bang for buck?  You direct those engineers (no matter how much they loved the Vanagon project) onto other projects, with better projections for profit.  I would do the same.

On Saturday, February 6, 2021, 4:39:04 PM PST, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net> wrote: Cooling jacket around motor?  Oddly shaped fuel tank?  Exposed electrical connections?  Byzantine and difficult to bleed cooling system? Why did all these things happen? I've got one answer:  Money Yes, we know for sure that the VW engineers could have delightfully solved each and every one of these issues above and beyond our expectations.  Talented group.  They would have been happy to do so.

So why not?  At the time in the mid 80's there was a fierce competition starting to happen.  Competitors noticed that the Vanagon "mini-van" was a really great idea, and so they developed their own.  For the VW engineers, they had to somehow come up with solutions to provide an equal or better product....but now here is the rub:  at a competitive price point.  The Marketing and Sales guys probably put up a SOLID price point; no more discussion.  Meanwhile, the Vanagon platform had already been developed, tooled up, and was in production.  So the engineers had to work around it as best they could.

If you look at the numbers, 1984 was max production for the Vanagon.  And 1985 was close....but then numbers dropped as competition challenged.  What to do...What to do? They did the best they could.  Maybe many of those talented guys left, probably in frustration.  Nothing happened for a couple years.  And then we get the 1993 Eurovan.  Ooops.