Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2021, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Feb 2021 17:33:24 +0000
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      FW: Vanagon engineering some different perspectives.

From: Dennis Haynes Sent: Sunday, February 7, 2021 12:32 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Vanagon engineering some different perspectives.

I was looking to make this a Friday post but just different have the time. I started paying attention to cars at a young age and can recall my father taking driving lessons while I was in kindergarten. Both my parents came from the Housing projects of Canarsie andmy father was the first to drive and own a car. Both my grandfathers never drove. After my dad become mobile we moved from Brooklyn to Long Island. My father's mom learn to drive shortly afterwards so they could visit. My mom's mother learnt driv e after they moved to Florida (1977) and found they had no choice.

Our first cars was 1961 Ford Falcon. After the move it didn't last long and was replaced with a new Mercury Comet. Barley lasted 3 years and was replaced with a Ford Torino Station Wagon. Dad was very proud of that car. The V8 engine and "Power Disc Brakes", fully noted on the brake pedal. Oh and that fancy rear tailgate with the two hinges and power window. Mom working two jobs while 7 months pregnant fell asleep driving and that meet its demise hitting a telephone pole. She escaped with minor injury.

The replacement for the wagon was 1971 Beetle. That was our only car as we became a family of 6. The following summer the 6 of us did a Labor day vacation in Lake George. A few weeks after that we became a 2 car family, a Blue-White 67 Bus. For me the path was set. These 2 cars would become my training. My dad had absolutely no technical skills but my mom was willing and supportive to let me learn. Another book! Anyway before I had a learners permit the Bus needed engine work again. No money to get it fixed mom let me try. With a minimal set of tools including a cheap scissor jack the engine came out. Set on top of an upside down garbage can I replaced the heads and piston/cylinders. The "Big Bore" set going from 1,500 cc to 1,679 cc. Of course not knowing about torque wrenches and other needed skills loose heads and pulled studs occurred so I did get some practice over the next few years. In 1978 my parents upped things to a small motorhome and I bought the Bus from them. As it rusted a part it was sold and then replaced with a '70, 72' (First Fun Bus and honeymoon Bus). Then we went to an 84 Vanagon. While we other VWs along the way the 84 was replaced with the 1987 Syncro Westy which we still have with 354K on the clock.

As side thought my mom suggested that I don't pursue the automotive repair career path. "Car mechanics are plentiful, and no one likes them". Not her exact words. But she suggested that I seek a career in industrial maintenance. Having worked for many years in factories, sometimes two jobs she new that industrial mechanics were in short supply and typically paid well. Between my Junior and Senior year in high school she got me job in the "Record Factory" Remember them? So that set my path there.

As for engineering and reliability while I have done a number of roadside repairs Fun Bus has only been towed home twice and both were for electrical failures. Once an ignition coil and the other event the ECU failing and filling the engine with fuel. For on trip mechanical failures besides water pumps, hoses, pipes, belts, etc. the transmission is the weak link.

Looking at engineering philosophies for both automotive and industrial there are a number of different approaches to all things in general. Aviation and Space things aside here are my Dennis isms.

American, design things large enough and stout to reliably get past the design life and be tolerant of abuse. Plan for "What if Failures". European, design to just get the job done, prove by testing. Maintenance is the ongoing cost of ownership. If a part id there it is needed, even if just for appearance. Keep adding parts to get it to what is needed. Asian, parts of the above but unexpected failure is not an option. Everything has to work as one.

So getting back to the Vanagon. As part f European engineering we should also look at history. The first busses were almost not much more than a beetle turned into a box. The minimalistic and cost saving approach follows VW to this day. Updates and improvements are done in small bay steps and not until there is no choice. I can give some many examples from tires and wheels to door latches and even body design. How did we get fuel injection in 1975 and still use points? How about in 68 the Beetles and other vehicles got the rims with the safety "J" bead but the busses didn't get them until 71 with the addition of front discs and brake booster. And for 73 the brakes were changed again for thicker pads up front. Those brakes were used up until 85!

As for the Water boxer this is probably the result of a number of things including for its day this is amongst the larger displacement engines VW had available. Emissions compliance was probably also a major concern. From lessons learned of air cooled failures. I am at a loss as to why some many dimensions were type 1 based instead of the later type 4 motors. Bit overall this is really a great engine except for a few weaknesses. The head studs could be more robust. Except for cracked heads combustion gasses getting into the cooling system always begin with the heads coming loose causing the seal to fail at the top of the cylinder. The can also allow coolant into the oil at the base of the cylinder. Add the other gasket design. I would think a different material or design could eliminate this failure mode. As the design of replaceable cylinders in a jacket this is common for many large truck and industrial engines. Engines with the bores in block, often called "parent bore" are generally considered replaceable or consumable engines. There are also thermal advantages to designs where entire cylinder is submersed and exposed to the coolant. Large engines in buildings and ships often are in place before the structures are built around so it is important that anything that can wear or be damaged in replaceable "In Frame". For the Vanagon the since the pistons and valves are exposed to the combustion process they should typically be the wear items that need service. The bottom end with some TLC should last almost forever. I usually change the heads and rings engine in place. Last is oil temperature. Some will debate this. High oil temp can reduce engine life in a number of ways. When are vans were sold the national speed limit was 55 mph and for that speed the 2.1 cooling system works well usually keeping the oil under 220F. Out of control as temps raise oil pressure goes down. Hot oil also reduces piston cooling which can add to engine knocking. Keep the oil cool and clean and the bottom end will not fail.

This can sort of go on forever and I'm not that good at writing. Do much better at answering questions than throwing stuff out there. So if I can be of more help, ask! Many of started with Vanagons as part of this dream of a low cost travel vehicles. Many of use have become a victim of "VW turning drivers into mechanics" for decades. For me a goal is to keep what you have going. I focus on adding value. As much as I have enjoyed driving a customers GW 2.7 when the day comes for Fun Bus I'm still thinking that even after 354K slapping on a set of heads and eight rings or P/C set will keep it going at far less cost than any engine upgrade or conversion. The big investment it needs now is rust repair and paint job #3.

Dennis