Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2021, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Feb 2022 09:20:01 -0500
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Third brake light GW

Hi folks,

Just checking in to mention that I completed the install of the GW third brake light.

I purchased it a long time ago but between my van being away for service for an extended time and my preferred way of installing it I didn’t get to it until I had some extended winter time.

This light mounts on the rear hatch window high and in the middle. The wire is pushed under the window rubber seal and over to the passenger side and through the grommet. It pops out a hole in the metal and the ground screw is right there. In my case I then need to run the wire down to the brake light.

The wire on the light is not long enough to reach. The directions say to use the extra ground wire for this.

I chose to use a stronger wire to run from the brake light to the area above the rear side cabinet where the round was. This way the wire was intact when behind the wall board and the connections were accessible.

I wanted the wire behind the side panel so, with directions from this list, I removed the upper and side cabinets and was able to remove the side screws and put the wire behind. I drilled a small hole and popped the wire out. The whole is also hidden by the side panel . I took the opportunity to add sound deadening to the rear van panels, added fluid film to the seam areas, and checked the insolation.

I added sound deadening under the side cabinet where it can’t be seen and reassembled.

I didn’t want to do the connection in the light harness without sighted assistence so I waited until a VW friend was available.

Yesterday friend Art showed up and I showed him my work and presented the GW instructions. He connected the hot wire to the rear light and I stepped on the brake. Nothing in the new light, lower lights worked.

Tested power to the upper connection. Power on the wire side but not on the other side of connector. Re did the connector and all worked correctly. I need better quality connectors!

So, a third brake light on my 85 now gives me a little more hope folks will stop before hitting the back of my van.

I almost decided not to install the light but this summer a 85 vanagon visited my house and had the third brake light. I asked the owner why he decided to install it. He pointed down to his damaged rear bumper. And said, he hoped it would prevent the next person from running into him.

So, hopefully between the rear third brake light and the Dennis Haynes hitch I’ve got a happy rear end.

PS, I noticed the lights are back in stock, at least a couple months ago. They were missing for an extended time. Eric Caron 85 GL Auto