Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2021, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Feb 2022 10:16:58 -0800
From:         Alex MeVay <alex@MEVAY.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Transmission Advice/Condolences? (w/pics)

Thank you all very much for your suggestions. Just wanted to give an update here. I called Rancho and they did indeed seem like a fantastic choice. I talked to Maxed Performance, another list recommendation, who also recommended Rancho, and decided to use Maxed to pull the trans and have a look at my hesitation-on-acceleration issue. As Stacy mentioned, Rancho is running quite a backlog (3 months), and needs to have the transmission sitting there to have a place in line. Hopefully it will be worth it.

I had planned to drop off the van today, but it went downhill fast. Seems like maybe the transmission input bearing was going. Eventually, things got bad enough, the clutch seemed to be rubbing and making occasional squeaks, and it was occasionally impossible to get into gear with the engine running. Maxed was accommodating despite their tough parking situation, and I limped the van north and dropped it off last week. The atmosphere at the shop was calm and organized, and Ed's "bedside manner" was a big improvement over the shop I had been using.

I guess now all the other machines in my life can get some overdue attention. :)

Alex