Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2021, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Feb 2022 22:04:03 +0000
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: In dash stereo upgrade
Comments: To: Jack R <jack007@comcast.net>

Using your phone or other hot spot this unit is almost like having an android tablet. Google maps is like the default for navigation. There are also other programs included that do not require internet connection to work. I will likely install co-pilot as I paid for it some years ago. So far I have tested it with Qello, Amazon movies and music, Pandora (a favorite) and yes even Fox news!. Yes I added back up camera and it even has adjustable guidelines if you wish. For now I'm using the ones in the camera.

The display does stick out form the dash a bit. All controls are visible although you reach behind to work the heater fan. Once adjusted for install it is fixed and for an automatic you can't place your hand on top of the shifter for park or reverse. The nice feature of this unit is how easily it will fit in our dashboards. The 8" display is probably the best size. I have seen some units up to 11 inches.

There are some other options such as front dash camera, HD radio, and 4G modem, infrared remote, etc. Getting some of these features in name brand units easily gets you into that $1K class. My last in dash Navi unit was Android 7 and only had 16GB memory and 1GB Ram. It was painfully slow and quickly ran out of memory and the add on SD card was not really helpful. This unit has 32GB memory and 3GB Ram and so far it is quit responsive to touchscreen inputs.

Again I shared this due to how well it fits out dash.

Dennis

-----Original Message----- From: Jack R <jack007@comcast.net> Sent: Saturday, February 12, 2022 1:57 PM To: 'Dennis Haynes' <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> Subject: RE: In dash stereo upgrade

Nice!!!

Thanks for sharing...

Are you able to see the heater controls, or easily move the screen so you can make those adjustments?

Did you hook up to review camera too?

Does it use the Android GPS for the map interface?

Sorry, lots of questions...