Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2021, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Feb 2021 21:50:11 -0600
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Multimeters
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Harbor Freight sells a decent low cost meter, just buy two so that when you don't trust the reading from one you can back it up with a second meter. Also, change the battery in both twice a year.

And by decent low cost I mean this one for a little over $22.00. https://www.harborfreight.com/electrical/electrician-s-tools/multimeters-testers/11-function-digital-multimeter-with-audible-continuity-61593.html

Not this one for a little over $6.00.. This meter is a real piece of junk. https://www.harborfreight.com/electrical/electrician-s-tools/multimeters-testers/7-function-digital-multimeter-63759.html

Also, more often than not 'bad meters' are caused by faulty meter leads. I'd even guess more than 75% of the time the real issue is meter leads. But no wonder, what do we do with the leads? We leave them plugged in and then we wrap them around the meter! It doesn't take long for the connections in the ends to loosen up when you store your meter this way.

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.kegkits.com – Electric Brewery Info www.towercooler.com – Beer Tower Cooler http://goo.gl/niRzVw - My Amazon Store www.brew-control.com – Electric Brewery Marketing and Direct Sales http://www.hackpilot.com/roadkill/ - A little twisted humor

“Fluke” is amongst the higher respected lines. They also have a lot of choices including some more reasonable price options. For most we don’t need super high accuracy. For most side of road events a test light can often do the job. High current DC clamp meters and true RMS tend to bring the price up. Amazon is a great place to shop for variety of choices.

Dennis

From: Mike Miller <mwmiller6@att.net> Sent: Friday, February 19, 2021 10:52 PM To: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com; Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> Subject: Re: Multimeters

Good advice.

Right now, after the failure of my 3 or 4 meter, cheap and a little less cheap, I'd take a meter that works. My brother recommends Fluke, me too but he won't pay for it! Scum! Of course he's an electronics engineer so understands, and needs a lot of capability, and is willing and able to pay for it.

Still scum.

Mike