Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2021, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Mar 2021 21:35:17 -0500
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Slider door hinge info

Trying again. This info pasted in from a message that keeps bouncing back.

Hi Gene,

I’d love the information about how to get it apart and rebuild.. In my case the spring might even be good just no longer in the correct position and affected by the broken sleeve and other parts.

I’m surprised one of our venders has not put together a rehab kit as all those doors could use a little more spring after 30 plus years. I just assumed they could not be taken apart and fixed.

My original seems to have most parts including the rubber parts but the inner sleeve is toast and the spring seems in the wrong position, at least that is my memory. My current installed spring is stronger but more worn in some areas. If I had the skills I could probably combine the best parts and be in business. I know others on the list are interested in what you accomplished as I’ve received a few emails asking if you had sent more info on the rehab process.

You have really come up with a project vanagon owners want to know more about and maybe repeat.

If I can master it I’ll consider making it a service for the community but I’m not sure I’m up to it either. But, I’m always interested in participating in the community solutions for healthy vanagons.

Eric Caron