Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2021, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Mar 2021 12:51:24 -0700
From:         Gene P <olgreywoof@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Slider Hinge
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ericcaron96@comcast.net>

Eric,

Whoa man, your exuberance exceeds any notion I have about my place in this hinge business. The only thing tricky about rehabbing these things is that parts are not available. I was just letting you know things can be found to substitute and it could be done.

Place called Buslab is where I got the spring https://www.buslab.com/vanagon-80-92-s/117.htm Spring 251843354 Cap 251843390A

That cap/sleeve is the plastic part that was mostly missing on mine and I’ve heard is broken on most. Buslab listed the cap but did not have it in stock. Finding stuff to build that and things to use for seals that also are not available became a project. When I just went in to get these part numbers, they now don’t have the spring in stock either, so that kills this for now anyway.

I think I can send you a description of how to disassemble your hinge to at least assess what’s good and what’s not so you know what you’ll need to fix it. Look for that later.

gp

From: Eric Caron Sent: Saturday, February 27, 2021 9:50 PM To: Gene P Cc: Vanagon List Subject: Re: Slider Hinge

Hi Gene,

I’d love to follow your lead and rebuild my original.  The one on my van now is a used original so I could work on my old one and if successful return it to service.  The one on the van now is still weaker then I’d like but better then my original.

If you  can take the time to describe the process a bit for taking it apart and any tricks you learned I’d greatly appreciate it.

Also, the part number or place you found the spring.

You are showing the true VW owner, I can fix this, personality.

This would be a great project as I can work on it and not keep my van from being functional and then have a real improvement or at least a working spare hinge.

Any tips greatly appreciated

Most people would want a video of the process, but that doesn’t help me without clear verbal descriptions.

Like you once I do something once I pretty much have it down for the future.  Of course once rebuild it may last 35 years so I might forget by then!

I put this back on list as I think others will want to know of your success and possibly a few of us can master this task.

Actually, you should consider having people send you the hinges and doing a exchange. Rebuild the old ones and send a person a new one.

Your time and parts would be worth a fee to make it worth your time!  I’m not aware of anyone offering or having figured out how to rebuild the hinge back to good health.

I’d love to master the skill.

Eric Caron  Currently without his van  But with a spare hinge ready for rebuilding!