Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2021, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Mar 2021 11:36:11 -0800
From:         Christopher Schimke <christopher@T3TECHNIQUE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sound deadening material
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ericcaron96@comcast.net>

I purchased mine from a company called Sound Deadener Showdown. They are since retired, but have a ton of useful information on the website still. They explain all the different aspects of noise and how to deaden, block, and absorb it.

I would simply contact Cascade Audio directly through their website (cascadeaudio.com) to see where to purchase. However, other companies offer similar products. Google "mass loaded vinyl" and you will see that companies like DEI, Second Skin, and other's offer these products. Keep in mind that you can buy mass loaded vinyl in sheets without foam, but you need the foam to "decouple" the vinyl from the area you are trying to insulate for it to be most effective. For example, on Second Skin's website under "Sound Blocking" products, you will see that they offer "Luxury Liner" and "Luxury Liner Pro". Luxury Liner is straight mass load vinyl with no foam backing. Luxury Liner Pro has the foam backing.

I kept my factory insulation under the front carpet since it is contoured to allow the carpet to sit flat. Without it, the carpet sits a bit wonky. I put spray-on sound deadener in strategic places on the sheetmetal. Then I added the decoupled mass loaded vinyl (Cascade VB-4.5) to every square inch of the cabin from behind the dash, down to the floor, up on the wheel wells, and all the way to the back. Like I mentioned, for the area over the engine compartment and down the firewall, I added Cascade's VB-3. If you can't find a product similar to Cascade's VB-3 for over the engine compartment and down the firewall, you can use a layer of "hydrophobic melamine foam" with a layer of mass loaded vinyl over the top or a few layers of decoupled mass loaded vinyl. I added Cascade's VB-2 behind the front door cards, but you could simply attach a sheet of Second Skin's 1lb mass loaded vinyl sheet behind the door cards and side panels. I didn’t do it (I may in the future), but you can also add the hydrophobic melamine foam behind all the side panels in the van, than hand a sheet of mass loaded vinyl to cover the entire area, then install the interior panels.

For your headliner area, if you have the hard board type headliner, I would think that adding a layer of VB-4.5 or Luxury Liner Pro directly to the backside of the headliner would help. It's pretty heavy to try to attach to the inside sheetmetal. However, you may want to contact Cascade or Second Skin and get their opinion of how to handle that area. Maybe a few sheets of sound deadener (like your Fat Matt) with some of the hydrophobic melamine foam glued on top of that will do the trick.

-----Original Message----- From: Eric Caron <ericcaron96@comcast.net> Sent: Tuesday, March 9, 2021 4:07 PM To: christopher@t3technique.com Cc: Vanagon List <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: Re: Sound deadening material

Hi Chris and others,

This sounds like a nice advancement . And, if I’m reading correctly it can be used even if something like Fat Matt is all ready installed.

It also sounds like there are different versions for floors verses vertical surfaces.

I did a google search but didn’t get all the info I needed.

Anyone got some links to the different product? Anything about how to install in different locations? And where to purchase?

I’m very interested in keeping my van as quiet as possible. And this is a upgrade I can do on my own!

Eric Caron