Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2021, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Mar 2021 18:18:39 +0000
From:         David Boan <dboan@OUTLOOK.COM>
Subject:      Resending message about CV boots

Dear Van Types

I recently found that the boots on my new CVs look "wet" (This is on an '85 with manual transaxle). I cleaned them off and found that it started to return after an hour or so of driving. Grease seems to be seeping either through the boots (is that possible?) or where the CVs connect to the transaxle and the rear wheel. The odd things are that all four boots look exactly the same and it is grease, not 90- weight oil from the transaxle. Christopher at T3 helpfully commented that it is likely the drive flange seals are leaking, but as I said all four boots look the same, and they do not appear to be torn.

These are new boots and 944 CVs installed about 9 months ago.

I also get a rumbling noise from the back when turning (not the knock that is associated with a failing CV), not sure if that could be related.

Trying to better understand the source of the problem before throwing money at news seals and all.

Thanks for your help

Dave B. Boise ID '85 Westy