Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2021, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Apr 2021 07:00:02 -0700
From:         Steve Williams <sbw@SBW.ORG>
Subject:      Shore Power Hook-Up Glitch

My camper hasn't been started for months. I'm planning to start it today, because it's due for a California smog test. If it's running well, I'll also drive it across L.A. to the nearest available vaccination site on my first day of eligibility! (The other car is in the shop. And the other car is on loan to a family member. And the other car is in storage hundreds of miles away.)

Since I knew I needed to start it, a few days ago I plugged it in to charge the batteries. For all these months, I've been checking every few days and plugging it in whenever the house battery gets down to 12 volts. The built-in Pro-Sport 8 charger makes it convenient. (It's in shared parking, or I would just leave it plugged in all the time.)

This time, when I plugged it in, the charger didn't come on. I checked the breaker, no luck. Next, I plugged the charger directly into the extension cord, and it fired right up. So I checked the hook-up more closely and noticed one of the blades had pushed back through the plastic, not quite all the way into the van.

The hookup is GoWesty's "modernized" version, purchased in 2013, installed in September, 2015.

https://urlzr.mp/8rb (GoWesty)

I removed the hook-up, pushed the blade back into position, and loosened, then tightened the screw that secures the wire. That screw also appears to screw into the plastic molding to hold the blade in place. Anyway, it seems secure now.

It's possible I didn't quite engage the screw in the plastic molding when I installed the hook-up, so I can't count this glitch against GoWesty's product. I've been happy with the GoWesty hook-ups. I like how the doors stay open on their own.

I reinstalled the hookup, plugged the charger back into the outlet under the sink, plugged the extension cord into the hook-up, and everything worked great!

So today I'll start the van and use my extra-bright shop light to closely examine the engine, particularly the fuel lines, all replaced at Buslab in October 2019, a few months before the van went idle. If everything looks good, it's off to the L.A. County vaccine drive-through! And the smog test.