Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2021, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Apr 2021 14:40:49 -0400
From:         Jack R <jack007@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Paint and other care questions
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>

Eric,

I was trained on paint work by one of the best in Detroit! He won awards at Autorama, and was a true professional (and a great friend). Sadly, he passed away 2 years ago.

I basically take a 2 or 3 step process, depending on the paint condition. With very little effort, and good quality cordless electric drill, and the proper polish sealant sequence.

First, order a set of pads for your drill. https://www.amazon.com/Benavvy-Polishing-Buffing-Polisher-Waxing/dp/B07JDK4CS7/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=drill+buffing+kit&qid=1617906524&sr=8-7

Start with Meguair's #4 Heavy-Cut Cleaner (if finish is really bad). https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mirror-Glaze-Heavy-Cut-Cleaner/dp/B0002SQVF8/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=mcguires+car+products+heavy+cut&qid=1617906832&sr=8-10

Then, you can use this Meguiar's Polishing... which can be a go-to polish for all your shinny vehicles. https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mirror-Glaze-Heavy-Cut-Cleaner/dp/B0002SQVF8/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=mcguires+car+products+heavy+cut&qid=1617906832&sr=8-10

Then seal with a high quality Ceramic Wax. I like Groits, but Meguiar and Turtle Wax also make great products. https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mirror-Glaze-Heavy-Cut-Cleaner/dp/B0002SQVF8/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=mcguires+car+products+heavy+cut&qid=1617906832&sr=8-10

Polish and/or reseal every 6 months or so.

Hope this helps!

Jack

Hi folks,

Earlier John Rogers talked about trying to bring back the finish on his new van .

My van needs some care as well. Though recently painted I need to figure out how to bring back the finish. Several washings and such have not done much so far.

I was spoiled by a good clear coat for a few years but now the look I took pride in needs some fixing up.

This is not something I know about. Any tips on how to buff back a car is appreciated.

I need to be careful as When I did this as a young man with a vision problem I buffed right down to bare metal!

Tips appreciated.

I will be talking to a body care professional in a few weeks but I’d love to get a start on it.

Thanks list!

Eric Caron 85 GL =