Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2021, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Apr 2021 18:22:34 -0400
From:         JOHN LAUTERBACH <john@JHL.MGACOXMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: "91 Subie Vanagon back on the road
Comments: To: "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

Thank you, Ken, for the history. After my '84 was gone, I missed having a Vanagon. I needed one with a manual transmission so I could teach my Son how to drive stick-shift. Even though he (as well as my former stepson) work for a high-end new car dealer, he hadn't been trained on the job. He got his first lesson last night. He will get another lesson tonight.

I still have a number of parts around for an '84 if anyone is interested.

John > On 04/16/2021 5:12 PM kenneth wilford (Van-Again) <kenwilfy@comcast.net> wrote: > > > I can go even farther back. I believe this is the van I sold to Steve a > few years back that he was going to do a Subaru conversion on. I bought it > from a local couple that used it lightly and took good care of it. At 120k > miles they thought it was worn out even though it was in very good > condition. They sold it to me and I sold it to a crazy Russian guy who > wanted to use it in his painting business. He drove the wheels off of it > from New York City to Florida, back and forth for the next several years > until he virtually wore it out. Once he got to that point, he asked if I > wanted it, so I bought it back again. The engine was bad, so I advertised > it with a bad motor and a guy from Chicago wanted it and bought it sight > unseen. The transport company sent another crazy Russian driver to come > and pick it up for transport, and even though it had no tags or insurance > and was running on 3 cylinders, he walked to my shop and drove it back a > mile to the transporter and delivered it to Chicago. I think that is where > John picked it up. > > So I have owned that van twice. John let me know when you are ready to > sell it back to me again. :-) > > On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 4:49 PM JOHN LAUTERBACH <john@jhl.mgacoxmail.com> > wrote: > > > Thank you, Dennis. You are correct. The '84 you helped me with is no > > more. > > > > > On 04/16/2021 4:40 PM Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > > > > > > > > > Refresh my memory. Was it you that I had visited many years ago and > > diagnosed the failed intake valve keeper. That was long before 2019 so not > > this van. > > > > > > Dennis > > > > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > > From: Vanagon Mailing List <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> On Behalf Of > > JOHN LAUTERBACH > > > Sent: Friday, April 16, 2021 4:35 PM > > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > > Subject: Re: "91 Subie Vanagon back on the road > > > > > > Here is the story on the Vanagon. > > > > > > I purchased it in May 2019 from a gentleman in Chicaogo, IL I had it > > shipped in an enclosed van (Montway). After I had driven the van a few > > miles, I realized that brake lines were leaking so I had AAA take it to > > European Auto Clinic here in Macon. All brake lines and components had to > > be replaced, including master cylinder. I then had to have the power > > steering rack replaced as well as the clutch slave cylinder. Van then went > > to Troopers Collision here in Macon. They installed the GoWesty bumpers > > and repaired the rear lock on the sliding door. The top screw that holds > > the latch to the door frame had been stripped out of the threaded hole in > > the door. The latch was swiveling on the bottom screw until repaired. > > > > > > John > > > > > > > On 04/16/2021 12:38 PM Eric Caron <ericcaron96@comcast.net> wrote: > > > > > > > > > > > > Hi John, > > > > > > > > Great to hear about your progress. > > > > > > > > What lines were repaired? > > > > > > > > What was wrong with the slider latch? > > > > > > > > Keep us posted on updates and adventures. > > > > > > > > Eric Caron > > > > 85 GL Auto > > > > Really coming together now! > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > On Apr 16, 2021, at 11:47 AM, JOHN LAUTERBACH < > > john@JHL.MGACOXMAIL.COM> wrote: > > > > > > > > > > My '91 Subie Vanagon has spent the past six months at shops here in > > Macon, GA, getting repairs to hydraulic lines completed, new GoWesty > > plate-steel bumpers installed, and getting the rear door latch on the > > sliding door remounted. Yesterday, I had four new 205 R 14 tires installed > > and oil and filter changed at one of the Raffield tire stores here in > > Macon. My Son provided a new battery. I also had him out last night > > giving him a lesson on how to drive stick-shift. I am driving back to > > Deland, FL, home tomorrow. > > > > > > > > > > Next step is to find body shop that can repair extensive body rust > > and repaint the van. > > > > > > > > > > John > > > > > -- > Thanks, > Ken Wilford > John 3:16 > www.vanagain.com