Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2021, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Apr 2021 13:07:53 -0700
From:         Alex MeVay <alex@MEVAY.ORG>
Subject:      Re: oil temp problem/solution
Comments: To: Mike Miller <mwmiller6@att.net>

Hi Mike,

I've got an I-4 gasser, née diesel, that also runs a little warm on the oil. I installed the larger oil/coolant heat exchanger, but it didn't make a noticeable difference. I'm about to do a big cooling system overhaul/update to address some leaks, and recently ran across some interesting info. In case you haven't already done it, check out the "Aux Oil-Cooler Modification" here:

http://www.vanagondiesel.info/index.php/Conversion_Related#Cooling_System

Apparently in the normal config, the oil heat exchanger only gets flow when the thermostat is open. I've noticed this in my van...the oil only really starts warming up after the coolant has already come to temperature. The mod gives the heat exchanger flow all the time and more of it. I plan to do this and hope it will both speed oil warm-up and lower max temps.

Alex