Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2021, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Apr 2021 10:14:12 -0300
From:         Roy Nicholl <RNicholl@NBNET.NB.CA>
Subject:      Re: Yet another westy table hack
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca>

Alistair,

Banding has been a fundamental dilemma. I do not have ready access to the tools/materials to use a carbon strip (for an entirely uniform look), nor do I have your skill with aluminium (but, I am trying to persuade a friend to re-envision/machine the mounting bracket in Al. It is also an opportunity to change the mechanism from that terrible knob). Rubber/plastic would be easy, but strike me as not being appropriate to the project.

Any suggestions?

Alistair Bell wrote on 2021.04.28 22:29: > Ok Roy, you trumped me :-) > > That’s light. > > Have any thoughts about edge banding? > > > >> On Apr 28, 2021, at 9:33 AM, Roy Nicholl <RNicholl@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote: >> >> I have a piece of ~1.25" thick honeycombed carbon fibre sheet (Alistair >> is not the only fellow with interesting project scraps) which I am >> thinking about turning into a table. >> >> Kyle Stuhr wrote on 2021.04.28 00:16: >>> Making a new table out of plywood would cut a lot of weight. Particle board is heavy. Of course you’d then have to put new melamine and rubber trim on it. If you really wanted to get crazy you could use a honeycomb structure core with a fiberglass skin and paint or cover with melamine. That would probably weight ~1/4 of the stock table. It really isn’t expensive if you do the work yourself. >>> >>> Sent from the briny depths. >>> >>>>> On Apr 27, 2021, at 7:55 PM, Eric Caron <ericcaron96@comcast.net> wrote: >>>> I admit it. I’d love to improve my table situation in many ways. But I totally can’t picture this mod. >>>> It sounds like it makes the table swivel better and that would be a good thing. My table also tends to rattle in the holder when driving. Maybe that is helped by this as well? >>>> >>>> I have two good condition tables. >>>> >>>> Currently I just use the rear table and have removed the other leg holder. >>>> >>>> I feel like the table is much heavier than it needs to be. The whole unit could be much lighter. Maybe a stainless steel top. And a built in drawer and have a leaf so it can slide together to be smaller or bigger. >>>> I thought Van cafe had an updated table but when described to me it is just a drawer for under the existing table. Heck, that I could probably make myself. >>>> >>>> Eric Caron >>>> 85 GL Auto >>>> >>>> >>>>> On Apr 27, 2021, at 7:53 PM, Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA> wrote: >>>>> >>>>> Took the day off. Mucked around with the van. No , haven’t solved the rattle clunk. >>>>> >>>>> But added a bit to the tables. >>>>> >>>>> At work, I have a recurring job of cutting out Teflon discs from 1/8” thick sheet. Various diameters, from around 80 to 100 mm. Various centre holes anyway. >>>>> >>>>> I have a few rejects. Took one of them that looked the right size and put it between the table and the mount. Seems silly at first putting Teflon there. But it gives a nice feel when tightened up. You can still rotate the table , but it’s firm. >>>>> >>>>> Most important, it eliminates that “ I want to turn the table but that scraping noise… oops I guess I should loosen it first” situation >>>>> >>>>> :-) >>>>> >>>>> I know most of you don’t have sheets of Teflon lying around. But I’ll bet a similar bit of polyethylene would do the same. >>>>> >>>>> Alistair