Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2021, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Apr 2021 07:40:17 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Yet another westy table hack
Comments: To: Roy Nicholl <RNicholl@nbnet.nb.ca>

Roy,

When I first got some of the honeycomb off cuts I was excited about the material. At work, I cut a fair bit of it, long shapes to be used as bulkheads in a couple of aircraft types. The material is quite spendy and the off cuts are less than worthless. Our metal recycler doesn’t want it as it’s considered “dirty “ and gets no money for it. I think it’s because of the glue used to adhere the aluminum honey comb to the aluminum skins. The customer I cut for has a epoxy based glue system , including glue bedded fasteners in a series of holes I cut along the edges of the part. They hand route the holes and the edges to remove a bit of the honeycomb then apply the thickened epoxy. The edges aren’t exposed, as the parts are used as bulkheads. So a nice looking edge ain’t important.

A few years ago I tried making table top. I used a bit of machined aluminum to push back the honeycomb from the edge, a fixed amount. Then I glued in wooden strip along the edge. I was thinking that my measured pushing back of the core would make a firm bed for the strip to locate on. Yes, a rebated strip to register on the skin of the panel woudl have been better.

Glue up was a “one armed paper hanger” type mess.

And of course during all this, the perfect factory made skin got all scratched up. But that was going ti be hidden by some glue on veneer.

Of course it was hard to bend the strips round the corners. I didn’t steam the wood. I made the table shape more ovoid than rectangular to make that part easier.

On the bottom I glued on an aluminum plate with the (m10?) threads for the table arm screw.

Oh, btw, used Polyurethane glue throughout.

The final result was pretty ugly.

:-)

But I got it out of my system. Sometimes even the sexiest material ain’t suitable for the task at hand. At least not without more work than the final product deserves.

Another thing Roy. It’s an irony sent by the gods, I have access to machines and materials now that was just a dream a few years ago. I could be dicking around a lot with all kinds of van projects that I have in my head. Maybe one idea might work. But… I have much less free time now, and at the end of the day I don’t always feel like going back at it with a personal project.

The stock table screw knobs. Both for leg and table top. They are not the best design. But I haven’t got a better idea. If you have a better idea then get a prototype made and test it. A lot of us want it.

Cheers

Ab