Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2021, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 May 2021 06:49:01 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Friday - tirfor griphoist rebuild

Hi,

During this last winter I was lucky enough to get access to a sale of tools. A tool hoarder who deceased and the hoard ended up being sold with the house and land. When I say hoarder I mean it. Quite large old school machine tools ( for example, 12 ft dean smith and grace lathe was one of half a dozen or so lathes ) and tons , literally , tons of smaller machining industry stuff. We bought a fair bit of machine tooling for work, but I also bought some trinkets. One such trinket was an old tirfor griphoist. I think it’s the TU-28 model, 4000 lb capacity. I rebuilt and painted it. Still have to get some cable ( the genuine cable is eye wateringly expensive). The hoist is one of those things …. You know the type… you’ve wanted to have one but you really don’t have a good reason to have it. It’s not light, must be about 40-45 lbs, without cable. Oh sure , I can be all off-road like and haul it around in the van. But realistically it’s probably gonna be more used around the farm.

Link to blog post ( first post in a year, I’ve been unforgivably neglectful of blog)

https://shufti.blog/2021/05/07/tirfor-griphoist/

Alistair