Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2021, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 May 2021 07:50:05 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Another battery- did float charger cook mine
Comments: To: Spencer Allen <soxndubs1951@gmail.com>

Spencer,

I’ve been happy with my Noco genius charger. It’s gets varying reviews online but has worked well for me. I’d prefer a Ctek but it was more spendy.

Oh, btw, it’s the 10 amp model.

I have it hooked up most of the time to my old battery I removed from van last year. It has seemed to restore a fair bit of capacity ( I can’t quantify) and the battery is used as a convenient 12v supply for this and that. Mostly to power Chinese diesel heater I have set up on test stand and in which I’ve been improving with new mother board and controller and pump etc etc.

What I’m trying to say … I have the Noco hooked up to the old battery pretty well all the time, and turned on about 80% of the time. It goes onto a bout a 13.4 - 13.5 volt float , with occasional pop up to 15.4v for a short time then back to float .

On board the van I have a mariner pro sport hard wired in to system. Only 6 amp output so it’s very much undersized for my 200ahr aux battery. And I don’t think I like the charging profile as well as the Noco. But it works , and keeps things topped up if I plug in weekly.

On camping trips I have no issue with the big aux battery getting charged. I have two 80w solar panels and an mppt controller. And I don’t have much battery draw when camping ( no electric fridge). The panels plus the charging during driving to and from camping seems to keep the big battery happy.

Alistair