Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2021, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 May 2021 11:46:03 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Cold start oil pressure
Comments: To: OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@comcast.net>

Yeah, i understand the compressibility of gases etc.

And yes, air in hydraulic systems will result in lost motion. I’m your example the air will get compressed rather than the bucket moving the dirt :-), as the gas bubble compresses. But it will move in the end if you haven’t run out of travel in the piston.

The air bubble is acting like a spring. But don’t forget that in a closed vessel the internal pressure is equal thru out.

Back to the spring analogy, the bubble will dampen transient changes in pressure, but will not change the overall pressure. Just as you car springs work on the van. The springs support the weight of the van. A load cell at the bottom of the spring will read the same as one on the top of the spring.

So that’s why I think an air bubble in a tube leading to a pressure gauge ain’t a big deal. It will dampen transient pressure spikes but overall pressure will be unaffected.

You tire pressure gauge doesn’t care about air. I don’t recall bleeding gasoline from my fuel pressure gauge when I tested that in the van.

And we just got our waterjet table up and running at work. The big pressure gauge is teed off the main line to the cutting head. A tee then a vertical to the gauge. It wasn’t bled. Reading 55,000 psi right now as I write.

Alistair