Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2021, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 May 2021 15:45:08 +0000
From:         Mike Miller <mwmiller6@ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Van A/C questiion
Comments: To: "Syncro@groups.io" <syncro@groups.io>

I think what the answers I get are saying is that I have to pull the air conditioning housing to connect the drain tubes? Is that so? Heck of a job to do so I don't want to get into it unnecessarily.

On Friday, May 14, 2021, 4:15:46 AM PDT, bike2vcu via groups.io <bike2vcu=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote: I sent this reply to your post on the Vanagon list but figure the Syncro folks might also want to see it. Sounds like you have a Westy.  The trusty Bentley will tell you which steps to take and in which order.  I did this to my '87 Westy years ago so may have forgotten the details but to reach that tray may only require the A/C enclosure over the back seat and the upper cabinet to come out, exposing the left-side and right-side hose connections.  More work will require the left curtain tray ("spice rack") and the closet to come out. I used stacked milk crates and some plywood squares to support the headbanger while I disconnected fan and speaker wiring before the final drop.  Helps to have a helper at that point. You might discover that one or both of the tray's attaching nubs for the hoses are cracked or broken so these will need to be patched. Two suggestions: while the cabinet is out slot the holes in each side into to U-shaped openings so the drain hoses can stay attached during the raise/lower process.  This will be evident once you get in there and you'll wonder why it wasn't done at the factory. Also, the drain tray simply rests on the bottom of the cabinet, complicating placement during the raise/lower.  Get some perforated metal strap (a cheap roll of "plumber's tape" from the hardware store) and suspend the drain tray from the ceiling.  You can use sheet metal screws for this or else wire it to the condenser.  Doing this anchors the tray and hoses while you juggle the cabinet and the slots let the cabinet slide into place independent of hose attachment.  You'll still need the crates and plywood for support while you reconnect the wiring.  Helper for the lift here, too.  Good luck! Stephen

On Thursday, May 13, 2021, 05:43:35 PM EDT, Mike Miller <mwmiller6@att.net> wrote: Vaneroos, My A/C now works thanks to Marco at Buslab in Berkeley. That's the good news. Bad news is the drain hose for the condenser pan is not hooked up on the driver side. I looked at youtube and vanagon.com but didn't see anything showing how to get to this fitting. What I remember from putting the a/c cabinet in is that it isn't easy to work on; it was a bear! Anyone know of a video showing how to get at this fitting or a set of directions for doing so? Vaneroo Mike _._,_._,_ Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#56874) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic If you would like to modify your subscription settings (including unsubscribing), visit: https://groups.io/g/Syncro Rude or offensive language is not allowed in the Syncro group. Please try your best to resolve differences privately and keep them off the group email distribution. Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [mwmiller6@att.net] _._,_._,_