Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2021, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 May 2021 16:37:41 +0000
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Some thoughts Mansi Speed products.

MansiSpeed - Trek to Track Performance<https://mansispeed.com/>

These folks have some really good ideas here.

Oil pump: oil pressure is one of the weak links of the Waterboxer. Their points on the shortcomings of replacement pumps including the high volume ones is spot on. I have found that the GoWesty prepared oil pumps have been the most successful for me. Often the other 30mm pumps have even made the situation worse. Their o-ring seal design should help and the port matching should help. Still, the stock oil pump system can and does work and if the real issue is due to oil temperature, that is what should be addressed with oil cooling or slower driving. I recommend this.

Fuel injectors: The Waterboxer fuel injection relies on some assumptions. A properly balanced injector set is key especially to reduce or avoid that lumpy idle from a lean mis fire or burning a piston or valve. The price is fair for a quality injector set. I would question the hose and use of clamp at the injector. The original used a self-locking hose with clamp on the injector. The barb can cut the inner liner when clamped. I don't think these injectors can really improve the performance over any other good injector set. But for the price and effort I recommend.

Ratio Rockers: This kit appears to be first rate. The result is more lift and a slight change in duration, overlap. The feel is slightly better throttle response and the sense of more power. At any driving at part throttle the benefit is mostly imaginary. Can you really get ore power at full throttle? Especially on the 1.9 with stock throttle body and exhaust the benefit is reduced. If using a low cost catalyst that will also limit available power. Now for some concerns. Adding lift this way increases pressure on the valve train and side load on the valve stems. Also the slider rockers and lash caps eliminate the turning action of the valves. That is why the original screws are offset and the 3 groove keepers are designed as they are. I'm a fan of lash caps due to many of the replacement valves being soft and failing at the ends but I have seen them wear through and also if a valve sticks fall out. Usually they just sit in the bottom of the head but should one make it into a push rod tube and then get caught between a lifter and that drain slot you have a bad day. If part of your goal is to get the engine to last as long as possible this is not the best step. If you really need that 3 to 5 HP go for it. Also consider that if you really are increasing flow and power at full throttle you are also increasing emissions and the opportunity to go into pre-ignition, knock. I Recommend with caution.

Dennis