Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2021, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Jun 2021 10:54:26 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Some thoughts Mansi Speed products. Moving onto to coolant
              temperature possible problems or gauge readings.

I had a 1985 GTI with the faking oil temp sensor. I took it out of the engine and heated it in a pan of oil with a calibrated thermometer while still connected to the car's wiring. I registered a consistent 35 degrees F lower on the car than the actual temp. At least it was easy to do the math in my head to tell the real temp! I believe the highest actual temp I ever saw was about 310 when I took the car on a track day. Most driving yielded very reasonable oil temps even with the 35 degrees added.

Interesting about the coolant temp readouts you get with the aftermarket FI system Dennis. It has a separate coolant temp sensor? Where is it located? I was always impressed with how fast the Vanagon warmed the coolant up. Probably the best of any car I've owned.

Edward