Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2021, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jun 2021 21:30:54 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: inline 4 vs Subaru conversion
Comments: To: Neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Hi folks,

I’m mechanically the least knowledgable here. But will share my recent experience.

With Dennis’s help we took out the 1.9 engine and Dennis built me a GW 2.3 engine.

We also made upgrades to the transmission, torque converter, and cooling system, not to mention the Fuel Management system.

If my driver, Heidi, has confidence then I get to do more with the van.

The results are new only about 1,000 miles of driving but the results are great. The engine is a 2.1 so it looks great in the compartment. It starts, runs, excellerates and idols great.

Heidi used to drive at 55 tops and 60 max. We now sometimes go over 70 before she realizes it. She is driving more often at about 65 MPH. We clim hills feel.

I think we could climb even better but she is not aggressive about using second gear in the automatic.

So, time will tell but wow! What a nice upgrade even mainly using a stock 2.1 motor.

However, we were climbing a hill today at bout 55 MPH when a vanagon passed us with a toot and a piece sign. I have know idea what engine they were running!

If I had not decided to work with Dennis on the upgrade project I would have been very tempted to go with the FAS new engine option. They are not that far from me so it would have been a reasonable option.

All things considered I’m very happy with the engine, transmission, support systems, gages, and suspension. I keep thinking, this might be what a brand new vanagon felt like.

And, Heidi now asks to drive the van and takes it on highways and back roads. These are great changes.

Eric 85 GL Auto GW 2.3