Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2021, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Jun 2021 18:10:14 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Question about hard start relay
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

I bought a hard start relay setup.  Never installed.  Went forward with TDI adapter plate and Bosch starter motor, I've been very happily pleased since then (on a Subie 2.2 with manual transmission).  The IMI Hi-Torque starter motor as originally supplied by my Subie Converter was totally junk, and caused much misery on a cross country road trip.  (My Subie Converter also stated the same thing....awful....much misery for many customers and for him).

I have been advised (via this list) that adding the hard start rely could solve one problem but add another potential failure point.  And, makes it difficult to troubleshoot when 3000 miles from home.  So, I backed off from the hard-start relay approach. My mobile mechanic endorses the hard start relay, and he is an experienced guy full of wisdom.  I have chosen not to go that route.  Solid TDI starter motor with the appropriate adapter is the way I have chosen, and so far (4 years) so good. When correct, starter motor is on for something like 0.5 seconds even on a high compression motor like my Subie 2.2.  Heat in ignition switch should not be a problem.  That's always the argument for the hard start relay.

On Saturday, June 19, 2021, 10:36:05 AM PDT, Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com> wrote: Years ago I installed a Jay Brown relay kit on my 82 diesel Westy. It worked fine. For some reason I can’t recall, I once wired the car back to the original wiring setup, probably when I went to a gear reduction starter. The relays and wiring are still in place where they were installed in the engine bay but are not hooked up at present. I would like go back to the relay setup BUT I have read that the relay should not be used with the Gowesty gear reduction starter. I know nothing about the GW reduction starter but am wondering if that warning applies to all gear reduction starters or just the Gowesty one. Anyone know a reason I should not go back to the relay setup?

Also, does anyone have a set of installation  instructions lying around that they could share? I don’t like experimenting on electrical stuff.

Thanks,

Jim

Sent from my iPhone