Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2021, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Jul 2021 22:58:08 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Rostra 250-1223 Cruise Control
Comments: To: Stacy Schneider <vwcrewman@GMAIL.COM>

Follow-up info:  No Stacy, I don't have VSS on my Subaru motor; the old-school magnets on CV Joint at 180° (I switched to powerful rare-earth magnets with impressive results) and the sensor nearby seems to work just fine.  But I did replace the CCS-100 servo with a brand new one from eBay.  Flawless performance!...all good again.  But this also revealed to me that all the other parts of the system (the control switch; the power to it; the wiring to the rear of the van; the wire to the brake light for shutdown; vacuum hoses; the vacuum accumulator piece; the actual connection of the cable to the Subie throttle body sector) are ALL in good shape.  It was failure of the servo itself, most likely electrical (for fun, I took apart a previously failed servo hoping to see a tear or flaw in the rubber diaphragm, but saw nothing....I carefully inspected the circuit board inside for evidence of "burnt" components, but again saw nothing.....most likely, the failure is inside the main chip or a supporting electrical component.)

So, for now I am back in business with excellent cruise control.  How long it lasts is still a concern.  The Rostra Unit is my backup plan to my backup plan.

For my style of Vanagon driving, which often includes long distances, Cruise Control is an absolute must-have.  Even 30 years ago, the "frozen right ankle" from holding gas pedal down for hours at a time was unpleasant; at time has progressed, it's even more unpleasant now.

On Monday, July 5, 2021, 7:48:19 PM PDT, Stacy Schneider <vwcrewman@gmail.com> wrote:       Richard

              Do you have a VSS for your Subaru? If so you can get speed sensor from that as well.               I’ve installed one of those GW units for a customer with limited success. I like the Vacuum units.                   Granted the GW unit I installed was in a 1.9 powered Westy with an A/T.                   I’d try to fix what I had first.

                                        Stacy