Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2021, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Jul 2021 10:35:07 -0700
From:         Bruce Todd <beeceetee@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trip Report & other data Oil temperature
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Thanks Dennis,

So - a couple things for me to look at. When I purchased the original digital oil temp gauge from Intellitronix - it came with a sender S8013. At the time - I also purchased the GW sender 323 057 for the relief plug port as I wasn't sure whether the sender I received from Intellitronix would work. So I have the GW oil temp sender which matches what is required for the VDO gauge. Now if you recall as part of my trouble shooting for the digital gauge (and in turn did not work) - I swapped sending units. So currently I have the wrong temp sending unit connected. Easy enough to swap those out. The S8013 sender has a small nut that connects the wire that I have attached a connecting ring to, whereas the 323 057 unit connects directly to a female connector.

Coolant temp seemed to be within range - as best as I could tell. Low and high speed fans were cycling when temps were climbing to just above the warning light. This would occur in slow bumper to bumper traffic over a period of time. One thing I noticed was that the high oil temp gauge did not indicate a higher reading necessarily when the second stage radiator fan kicked in. Nor did the high speed fan kick in when climbing the pass where I had a reading of 270F. Temp gauge was below the warning light level.

I will reduce the amount of oil - as it is at the max level. I go by 4.5 litres with filter change - 4 litres without filter change. This will go hand in hand with swapping out the sender.

Hopefully these little changes will make a difference - if not I will be looking for a secondary oil cooler. BTW - Is there anything that the stock oil cooler may need inspected or replaced?

Thanks again.

BT