Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2021, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Jul 2021 19:50:41 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Wee bit of update with engine and tranny

I’m slow, I’ll say it again, I’m slow .

But my transmission is ready to go back in. New seals I’m shifter selector, bellhousing, input shaft. Only caps on output flange… was dry in there and I decided not to tempt fate and replace seals. Maybe wrong, maybe right .

I hade made a few shifter bits, had them on hand to install. I’ll make a blog post to show them .

Clutch cross shaft rebushed. Made my own outer bushing from delrin , slightly different design than stock. Feels really good, smooth and no axial play.

Engine tidied up. New stainless pipe on left side, new gaskets on the cooling flanges , rebuilt throttle body and intake plenum assembly, have new clutch to go in but have to take off engine stand to do that , plus output seal if needed ( I doubt ).

Worked on the exhaust manifolds. They were new when I did head job 7 years ago. Never did fit right at the cast iron collector . Fixed that with grinding and filing.

Two studs were bad on the heads. I turned some adapters. M9x1.25 re thread in the worn out stud holes (2) in heads. Made stainless studs m9 x1.25 one end m8x1.25 the other. I didn’t have helicoil for m8 and wasn’t going to buy. Adapted studs work well.

Lucky I had m9x1.25 tap for some reason .

And I have cnc lathe to make the adapter studs easily .

I’m a little handicapped by friend … we’re swapping back and forth with engine hoist . Hes working on Audi s4 avant. V8 Standard Shift. That engine is a bear.

I hope to get blog post uo soon with pics .

Alistair