Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2021, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Jul 2021 16:18:18 -0600
From:         406 Westy <t3vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Idling / Oil Pressure Warning Light -'88 Westy

Getting back into the swing of Vanagon ownership after a relatively smooth first year with Ragnar, but I really want to start digging in on some troubleshooting and fixes. Apologies in advance for anything dumb or obvious here.

Not sure whether these two things are connected...

* Rebuilt 2.1L WBX / Automatic

Symptom #1: -On 1st start after not being driven for a day or more, idle *feels* a little rough/weak, though it stays dead-on at 900rpm. -Stalls out after idling for about 30-40 seconds (if I leave my foot off the pedal). -Also tends to want to stall after engaging reverse when pulling out of the driveway. Typically when this happens, it's as I'm backing up, but today it died immediately upon engaging reverse. -Once it's been on the road for a minute or two, everything sounds/runs just fine, and there are no more issues - until the next day when I go through it all over again.

Note that I changed oil and filters (air/oil/fuel) a few weeks back, and it's hard to tell whether that has made things any worse, but it definitely hasn't helped.

I haven't messed with the idle switch (yet). I thought that since it was idling dead-on at 900rpm consistently, this probably wasn't the issue... (I'm wondering if it has more to do with the throttle body itself.)

Symptom #2: -Today while going through all of this, the engine dropped out immediately when I put it into reverse. The oil pressure warning light started blinking immediately after I restarted. I didn't want to push my luck, so I turned it off and walked away until I had a better idea of what to look at.

Thank you!

*Matt* Missoula, MT '88 Westy, *Ragnar Loafbrick*