Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2021, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jul 2021 09:22:30 -0400
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power window issue

Steve, I spent a few days last summer on the passenger side window of my '87 Wolfsburg. Winding the cable on the drum is quite challenging. If you study the diagrams in the Bentley carefully you see how the current for the PS window has a very long path. There are many places where resistance can develop. As I seem to recall there is a connector in the space behind the glove box. Try measuring the current (amps) used by the two windows when powered straight from the battery; any difference may be a clue. The harder a motor works, the more current it will use. If the track or channels on the right side drag too much, the current draw will be higher. More current means a bigger voltage drop at any spot with resistance. I don't think it is possible to ground the motors at the doors; both wires have places to go. Because of the frequent failures and difficulty in reassembly of the original switches, I have started to replace them with switches from old Subaru engine donor cars. they are the same electrically once you figure out the terminals. Good luck.

Larry A.