Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2021, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 Jul 2021 09:31:40 -0700
From:         Bruce Todd <beeceetee@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trip Report Some feedback on oil temp and aux battery.
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Hi Dennis - No I am running with a manual transmission in my Syncro Westy. Tires are within range 205/70/15. Perhaps the rpm to speed comparison has to do with the 1.35 rocker arms? I am guessing the automatic will run slightly faster than a manual at the same rpm?

The stage 2 fan speed kicked on a couple of times during City driving - bumper to bumper. Oil temp seemed to stay pretty much at the same setting around the 220 mark during those occurrences. Oil temp seemed to rise really when climbing hills - slowing down (less cooling air) and running higher rpm 3800 to 4000 to climb the hill. Once I could speed up again and get more air then the oil temp would drop down again by about 5 degrees. Van seems happiest / coolest at 100 km/h or 62 mph.

I am thinking about installing an after market oil cooler possibly for next year. It has all been a bit of an evolution - first step was to install the oil temp and pressure gauges to get a baseline and see how things were performing…now I sort of know that I am running closer to the hotter side of the range and this is in a warm but not super hot and dry climate. I have to thank the list because I wouldn’t have considered additional instrumentation to check oil temp. It was something I became interested in after following a number of relatable posts.

I will have to consider - what you are noting about the fridge relay and setting that up as a fail safe.

Bruce