Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2021, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 Jul 2021 21:03:39 +0000
From:         David Boan <dboan@OUTLOOK.COM>
Subject:      E Brake

Hi Vanagon Types;

I have been dealing with, and mostly solving, several issues with brakes since I rebuilt the trailing arms and rear brakes on my '85 Westy. I have one remaining issue and seek your insights: The driver-side rear brake has been dragging, and I have narrowed it down to the lever the parking brake attaches to. It does not go back to its normal position after releasing the parking brake. I found that the remaining noise I had in the brake was the parking brake cable sagging after releasing the brake and rubbing the wheel hub. I can force the brake lever toward the brake shoe which takes up the slack and eliminates that rubbing and with it any noise. If I pull the ebrake handle the brakes work fine, but when released the parking brake lever (the one the cable attaches to) does not return to its normal position and once again I have the rubbing noise from the cable plus the brake dragging. The cable is slack under the van when released, so I think it is the lever itself. The passenger side works fine.

So, my questions are, does this show a damaged brake shoe and I should next replace them (they are new)? Would greasing the connection points help and maybe try that before replacing the show (though I hesitate to introduce grease into the brake).

Thanks, I look forward to your suggestions.

Dave B Boise '85 Westy